A cargo vessel has been destroyed after being hit by multiple unidentified projectiles in the southern Red Sea, according to the United Kingdom Maritime Trade Operations (UKMTO).
The incident took place on August 17, around 40 nautical miles southeast of Al Mokha, Yemen. Local authorities reported the attack at about 11:00 a.m.
The vessel was unmanned at the time of the incident. UKMTO did not release further details about its identity but said the damage was severe enough for the ship to be considered a constructive total loss.
The organisation has urged other vessels operating in the area to remain particularly cautious.
Shipping activity remains disrupted
The attack comes as commercial traffic through the southern Red Sea and the Bab el Mandeb Strait continues to operate at reduced levels.
Shipping activity has fallen since the Houthis announced a blockade of Saudi-linked vessels on July 20. Since then, several ships have come under attack in the region, including the Tihamah, in a deadly incident earlier this month near Al Mokha.
The repeated attacks are putting further pressure on shipping companies already dealing with increased security risks along the route.
Al Mokha port remains closed
The situation around Al Mokha is also affecting local maritime infrastructure.
The Joint Maritime Information Center (JMIC) said the port remains closed to commercial traffic after more than 25 missile impacts and fires at berths.
With the port unavailable and security conditions deteriorating, commercial operators in the lower Red Sea are being forced to reroute their vessels.
For carriers, those diversions can mean longer voyages and higher fuel and operating costs, particularly when ships are redirected around the Cape of Good Hope.
The latest attack therefore represents another setback for efforts to restore normal shipping activity through the Red Sea, one of the key maritime corridors linking Europe, Asia and the Middle East.





















